Installing HP Color LaserJet CP1215 on Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite
In 2009 I got a HP Color LaserJet CP1215. Unfortunately this printer is not compatible with OS X. Six years ago I managed to install the printer by using open source tools and drivers. In 2012 I got a new MacBook Pro and needed to install the printer again and I wrote about the process on my old blog. Now three more years have passed and when OS X 10.10 Yosemite came out I decided to do a clean install, but I didn't install the printer because I didn't need it. A few month have passed since then and now I needed to use the printer again and thus I had to install it again.
This is part tutorial, part reminder for myself on how to install this fucking printer.
You need GCC to compile C code. In my opinion the best way to get GCC is to install Xcode from the Mac App Store. In Xcode you have to install the Command Line Tools (Preferences > Downloads > Components).
You also need Homebrew to install some libraries.
Open a Terminal window and install
$ brew install wget $ brew install gnu-sed $ brew install ghostscript
Download and install Foomatic RIP and HIPJS for Mac OS X. The page also includes a download for Ghostscript, but I used Homebrew to install it. The links state that Foomatic RIP and HIPJS are for OS X 10.8, but for me they work fine on 10.10 Yosemite.
Next you need to install
$ wget -O foo2zjs.tar.gz http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/foo2zjs.tar.gz $ tar zxf foo2zjs.tar.gz $ cd foo2zjs $ make $ ./getweb 1215 $ sudo make install $ sudo make cups $ cupsctl WebInterface=yes
Open the CUPS web interface: http://localhost:631
- Add a printer by clicking on Adding Printers and Classes and then Add Printer. Enter your Mac OS X user name (must be an administrator) and your password.
- Select the printer (I connected the printer to my AirPort Express and it showed up in the list automatically) and click the submit button.
- Enter a name and description and submit the form again.
- Select HP
- Select HP Color LaserJet CP1215 Foomatic/foo2hp (en)
- Click on Add Printer
- Set Color Mode to Color and Bits Per Plane to 2 Bits Per Plane. Submit.
Please note that I cannot give support on installing this fucking printer on OS X. If you send me emails about this printer I will ignore them.